For 10 years LEGO® NINJAGO has inspired a generation to jump up, kick back, spin around and build. With the TV series still going strong, it would be the highly divisive big-screen adventure which would capture the imagination of a new fanbase. Following the success of The LEGO Movie, plans to bring the masters of Spinjitzu to the big screen were soon dusted off. A feature-length adventure was previously planned but soon lost traction until Emmet and co ignited cinema’s love of the LEGO brick.
The LEGO NINJAGO Movie featured characters and locations from the long-running TV show but transplanted it into the same universe as The LEGO Movie. This gave the characters new looks and fleshed out the world they lived in. These changes would also be the reason long term fans didn’t take too well to the movie. It would also be the reason why AFOLs fans discovered a new found love for NINJAGO. A love which can be attained to a single set – NINJAGO City.
Despite the NINJAGO surviving retirement and continuing to produce sets over many years, those sets never strayed far beyond small collectable builds or standard playsets. The LEGO NINJAGO Movie would provide the perfect opportunity to change that and so the NINJAGO City set was unveiled. The 4867-piece set instantly struck a chord with LEGO fans. Not only was it the largest NINJAGO set to be released, but it also featured numerous Minifigures, fun Easter Eggs and a great deal of detail. It could also be combined with the popular Modular Buildings sets, allowing AFOLs to bring a little culture to their cityscapes.
With NINJAGO being located on an island, space wasn’t in abundance. So if you can’t build out, build up. This history of expansion was captured in the sets multiple layers. Ground levels buildings and features were rather classic looking, as you climb up the layers, things get a little more modern. This blend of cultural eras would result in an amazing set, which proved popular with LEGO fans.
Crafting the look of NINJAGO City took a few attempts and a number of concept models were built by the LEGO NINJAGO Design Team. Some of which were featured in the DK Books’ excellent behind the scenes book. As you can see they each contain aspects found in the final design.
NINJAGO City was so popular an expansion was soon added in the form of the NINJAGO City Docks set. Although not as substantial as the first set, coming in at 3553 pieces, the docks added a large chunk of the bustling city. Focusing more on the traditional elements of the capital, NINJAGO City Docks featured plenty more Easter Eggs and neatly connected to the NINJAGO City set as well as other LEGO Modular buildings.
Now three years on, both NINJAGO City sets have long been retired but their legend lives on and later this week, you’ll be able to expand the adventures even further with the NINJAGO City Gardens set. Although not inspired by the movie universe, it still draws inspiration from the design aesthetics as the previous NINJAGO City sets. Whilst also drawing on the long-running TV show. Because of this, the Gardens will also be the perfect celebration of 10 years of the LEGO NINJAGO theme.
LEGO NINJAGO City Sets By The Bricks
70620: NINJAGO City
- Age – 16 and up
- Model measures: over 24” (63cm) high, 12” (31cm) wide and 16” (42cm) deep
- 4867 pieces
- Includes 16 Minifigures: Jay, Kai and Lloyd Garmadon, Green Ninja Suit, Misako, Jamanakai Villager, Sally, Ivy Walker, Konrad, Severin Black, Tommy, Guy, Juno, Mother Doomsday, Shark Army Gunner and Officer Noonan, plus Sweep the maintenance robot
- Price: £259.99, €299.99, $299.99
- Released: September 2017
70657: NINJAGO City Docks
- Age – 12 and up
- Model measures: over 14” (37cm) high, 14” (38cm) wide and 9” (25cm) deep
- 3553 pieces
- Includes 13 Minifigures: Lloyd, Cole (in casual outfit), Garmadon, Private Puffer, Runje, Chan Kong-Sang, Runme, Runde, Dareth, Lil’ Nelson, Mystake, Chad and Betsy
- Price: £199.99, €229.99, $229.99
- Released: June 2018
71741: NINJAGO City Gardens
- Age – 14 and up
- Model measures: over 29 in. (73 cm) high, 17.5 in. (44 cm) long and 13 in. (33 cm) wide
- 5685 pieces
- Includes 19 Minifigures: Young Lloyd, Kai, Zane, Urban Cole, Urban Jay, Urban Nya, Misako, Clutch Powers, Ronin, The Mechanic, Cece, Christina, Hai, Eileen, Kaito, Mei, Scoop, Tito, Sensai Wu’s Dog plus Golden Master Wu
- Price: £274.99, €299.99, $299.99
- Available From January 14th (VIP Early Access)